Thursday, 2 August 2012

Copyright Law & Die Cuts!!?


I am so confused!!  {UK Resident}

I recently got into using die cuts, purchased from people on Ebay, on my work (mini albums, cards etc...) and some friends of mine asked why I don't sell the things I make from my hobby?  First of all I was using the excuse that to buy die cuts is expensive on Ebay (or here in the UK in general it seems) and then I thought about getting a cricut to do die cutting with.  However I discovered that it is apparently illegal to sell die cuts made from their machines!  Due to their "Angel Policy".  In research I soon discovered that it is apparently illegal to sell any die cuts made using any machine that is not subcontracted to yourself or created by yourself blah blah blah. 

Anyhoo...  I then thought that this can't possibly be right, you pay a lot of money for these machines and dies etc and then you're told you’re not allowed to sell die cuts or works including die cuts but I am sure this fits into the things that can't be copyrights clause; "Ideas, Methods, or Systems;  Ideas, methods, and systems are not covered by copyright protection. According to the US Copyright Office, Circular 2, this covers quite a few things including making, or building things; scientific or technical methods or discoveries; business operations or procedures; mathematical principles; formulas, algorithms; or any other concept, process, or method of operation." source - http://www.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property-rights/copyrights/5-things-you-cant-copyright

So I was wondering if I created items for sale purpose using die cuts (was intending to get a cricut mini personal electronic cutter) and/or sale of cut dies using their templates of which I bought or a free to use (such as cricut craft room http://craftroom.cricut.com) would I be breaking any laws and could I get into trouble for doing this? I have read A LOT of diverse conversation and documents regarding this topic.  

The way I see it, and a prime example would be, if you think of the die cutter like Photoshop (a tool) and created something using Photoshop it is then yours to do with as you please, so surely die cuts using a die cutting machine should be yours to do with as you please, no?

Anyway, if anyone is reading this and has anything they'd like to say then please comment or contact me ~ thank you


Ps.  I also feel that creating die cuts would fit into the following uncopyrightable's:  procedures, methods, systems, processes or concepts.  ~ Further copyright law information: http://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco/CopyrightBasics/basics.html

2 comments:

  1. im having the same problem myself, in my hobby club

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same thing, I have been purchasing die cuts that I use in my cuttlebug machine for years and recently I had a desire to sell craft supplies online so I could help care for my grand children but I don't want to step on anyone's toes by breaking the copyright laws.

    ReplyDelete